15 VC-backed bot startups have raised their first VC rounds so far this year.
Advances in artificial intelligence algorithms have put chatbots and voice assistants in the spotlight, with investor interest in the space increasing in recent months.
Slack partnered with Accel, Index Ventures, KPCB, Social Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Spark Capital to fund several startups developing bot products for Slack customers. The portfolio companies in the $80M fund include bots like Awesome.ai, Begin, along with CRM bot Sudo.
Betaworks, which backed localized weather bot Poncho and chatbot for teams Howdy, announced a “botcamp”, a 10-week mentorship program for bot builders, sponsored by KPCB, General Catalyst, Atomico, RRE, and Breaking News.
Horizon Ventures backed Viv Labs, which recently demoed its Siri-like intelligent voice interface, and Meekan, a smart-scheduling assistant which was acquired by Doodle last quarter (not shown on the timeline below as it does not include exited companies).
Digit, which raised a Series B round this month from investors including Baseline Ventures, General Catalyst Partners, and Google Ventures, is the most well-funded startup on the timeline below, which includes 30 bot startups to receive VC backing since 2014. Scheduling assistant X.ai ranked second in terms of funding, and is backed by investors including Lerer Hippeau Ventures, FirstMark Capital, Pritzker Group Venture Capital, and Two Sigma Ventures.
Want more data on bot startups? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity