In the words of Sean Parker in the movie, “The Social Network”: “A million dollars isn’t cool, you know what’s cool? A billion dollars.”
And that’s what these companies raised in one round: A billion dollars.
Didi Kuaidi, Uber, and Social Finance all raised $1B+ round financings in Q3’15, with both Didi Kuaidi and Uber raising multiple billion-dollar rounds in the quarter. Didi Kuaidi and Social Finance’s rounds made them the 10th and 11th companies to raise $1B or more in a single round. Also of note, Social Finance’s $4B valuation is the lowest disclosed valuation for any of the companies involved in the $1B+ financings.
Overall, there have now been a total of 16 $1B+ financings to VC-backed companies since 2010, including 6 to Uber, and 2 to Didi Kuaidi.
The full list is below.
* Alibaba’s 2011 $1.6B round was not included as it was secondary market transaction, not an investment into the company.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity