What happened to the tech companies that raised the largest VC or growth equity rounds in 2009? In this latest installment of Throwback Thursday, we dig in. Nine of the 20 companies on the list exited and one company went defunct after a particularly bad scandal. Check out our other editions of TBT looking at 2007 and 2008.
Here’s how TBT 2009 stacks up.
*These companies had multiple large rounds during this time period
The companies in this list are all in the US and venture-backed. Multiple deals within a series were grouped together. Debt and Grant rounds were not included.
Photo credit for the featured image goes to Adrian Clark
Want to track financing activity to private companies? Login to the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity