Home to some of the the world’s best universities and top biotech firms — not to mention a breeding ground for robotics companies — Massachusetts is a hotbed for venture investment. In fact, for the past few years Massachusetts has been neck-and-neck with New York for the number two spot after California, in terms total venture capital funding.
And, according to our most recent Venture Pulse: Global VC report covering 2015, Massachusetts saw $6.3B of investment into VC-backed companies in 2015.
Using CB Insights data we rounded up the biggest Massachusetts deals of 2015 with venture capital involvement (which included a venture firm, corporate venture capital firm, or “super angel” in the round).
- The top Massachusetts deal was DraftKings‘ $300M Series D round, which valued the fantasy sports company at $1.35B (though the company’s recent regulatory troubles have thrown some doubt on its future). Accomplice and GGV Capital have been serial investors in the company. Also investing in the Series D were professional sports leagues including Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, and the National Hockey League.
- The second largest deal was radiation therapy specialist Mevion Medical Systems‘ $200M Series H, financed by Caxton Health Life Sciences, CHL Medical Partners, Hopu Investment Management, ProQuest Investments, Venrock, and YuanMing Capital.
- In third was SimpliVity‘s $175M Series D round. Accel Partners, CRV, and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers were backers for the enterprise cloud services provider competing with Amazon’s AWS.
See the full list below:
|Rank||Company||Quarter||Amount ($M)||Select Investors|
|1||DraftKings||Q3’15||300||Accomplice, GGV Capital, The Raine Group|
|2||Mevion Medical Systems||Q3’15||200||CHL Medical Partners, Venrock, Caxton Health Life Sciences|
|3||SimpliVity||Q1’15||175||Accel Partners, CRV, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers|
|4||Editas Medicine||Q3’15||120||Google Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Fidelity Investments|
|5||Virgin Pulse||Q2’15||92||Insight Venture Partners, Virgin Group|
|6||Codiak Biosciences||Q4’15||80||Alaska Permanent Fund, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, ARCH Venture Partners, Fidelity Investments, Flagship Ventures|
|6||Onshape||Q3’15||80||New Enterprise Associates, North Bridge Venture Partners, Commonwealth Capital Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz|
|6||Syndax Pharmaceuticals||Q3’15||80||Domain Associates, MPM Capital, Forward Ventures|
|9||Deciphera Pharmaceuticals||Q3’15||75||New Leaf Venture Partners|
|10||Intellia Therapeutics||Q3’15||70||Atlas Venture, Novartis Venture Funds, Fidelity Investments|
|10||Altiostar Networks||Q1’15||70||Cisco Investments|
|12||WAVE Life Sciences||Q3’15||66||RA Capital Management, Kagoshima Shinsangyo Sosei Investment, Fidelity Investments, New Leaf Venture Partners|
|12||Digital Guardian||Q4’15||66||GE Pension Fund, Fairhaven Capital|
|14||Dimension Therapeutics||Q2’15||65||F-Prime Capital, OrbiMed Advisors|
|14||Unum Therapeutics||Q2’15||65||Atlas Venture, F-Prime Capital, Sanofi-Genzyme BioVentures|
|16||Voyager Therapeutics||Q2’15||60||Brookside Capital, Casdin Capital, Partner Fund Management, Wellington Management|
|17||Cybereason||Q4’15||59||CRV, Softbank Corp., Spark Capital|
|18||Ra Pharmaceuticals||Q3’15||58.5||New Enterprise Associates, Morgenthaler Ventures, Novartis Venture Funds|
|19||VionX Energy Corp||Q2’15||58.2||Starwood Energy Group, VantagePoint Capital Partners|
|20||Jounce Therapeutics||Q2’15||56||Foresite Capital Management, Nextech Invest, Redmile Group, Wellington Management|
|21||Neon Therapeutics||Q4’15||55||Access Industries, Clal Biotechnology Industries, Third Rock Ventures|
|21||RaNA Therapeutics||Q3’15||55||Atlas Venture, Monsanto Growth Ventures, Partners Innovation Fund, SR One, Pfizer Venture Investments|
|21||Acquia||Q3’15||55||Centerview Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Split Rock Partners|
|24||Bit9 + Carbon Black||Q4’15||54.5||406 Ventures, Accomplice, Highland Capital Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers|
|25||Allena Pharmaceuticals||Q4’15||53||Frazier Healthcare, HBM BioVentures, Pharmstandard International|
Note: Only equity financings involving a VC were included.
Looking for more venture capital data? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity