Acquisition activity to Big Data also increasing with 2012 seeing 20 exits including 3 IPOs.
Big Data investment has been gaining momentum seeing nearly $5 billion of funding over the last five years. 2012 was the biggest year of deals and saw YoY growth of 19.5% over 2011. The graph below highlights the five-year financing trend to Big Data companies.
In addition to the acceleration in financing activity, big data exits have also increased with 2012 seeing 20 exits including several IPOs. IBM and Oracle lead the pack with the most acquisitions of Big Data companies.
Below is the five-year financing trend to Big Data.
The Big Data exit activity level has also seen a sizable uptick with 2012 seeing many exits via M&A and 3 IPOs including ed up as well.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity