The startups in this market map have raised over $1.7B in aggregate to offer new beauty and grooming products and services.
To illustrate the diversity of activity in the sector, we used the CB Insights database to put together the infographic below. A full list of categories and companies on the map is included at the end of the post.
get the free beauty trends report
Find out the 14 trends changing the face of the beauty industry In 2020, from “waterless” beauty to virtual try on.
This market map is limited to private, active companies that have raised equity funding since 2014 and focus solely on beauty & grooming. The market map is not meant to be exhaustive of companies in the space. Please click to enlarge.
We divided the beauty sector into the following categories:
- Beauty e-commerce platforms – Brazil-based BelezaNaWeb ($40.7M in disclosed funding) and other startups provide e-commerce platforms focused solely on beauty and cosmetics, selling selections of products from different brands.
- Booking platforms – Startups such as SF-based StyleSeat, which raised $40.67M from Lightspeed Venture Partners and others, provide Yelp-type platforms to browse and instantly book beauty appointments.
- Brick-and-mortar salons – These startups have launched new brick-and-mortar salon chains. Drybar, which offers a limited menu of hair blowout options in its 70+ locations, leads in funding with over $97M raised.
- Fragrance – Phlur ($4.5M) and other startups have launched new fragrance brands.
- Hair care – These startups have launched hair care brands, including direct-to-consumer hair coloring startups Madison Reed ($45M) and eSalon ($22.3M), and customized shampoo/conditioner startup Function of Beauty ($9.6M).
- Men’s shaving & grooming – This segment boasts the largest acquisition to date in the sector: Dollar Shave Club, which was acquired by Unilever in 2016 for $1B. Among private shaving startups today, razor brand Harry’s leads in funding with $287.1M. Walker & Co., which sells direct-to-consumer razors geared toward people of color, has raised $33.3M.
- Multi-category cosmetics – This segment contains startups creating new makeup & cosmetic brands, and offering a range of products including foundation, mascara, lipstick, and more. Notable in the segment, Glossier ($35.4M) pairs its cosmetics brand with an online media platform.
- On-demand beauty – Startups such as GlamSquad ($25.5M) send stylists directly to people’s homes or offices for makeovers, hair styling, manicures, etc.
- Salon & stylist aids – These startups, such as Paris-based FlexyBeauty, provide software for salon management or to help individual stylists learn and promote themselves.
- Skin care – Many startups are using all-natural or plant-based ingredients in new skin care products. For example, SF-based Yes To ($17.5M) offers lines based on tomatoes, carrots, and other plants, while TULA, which recently raised $8.46M from L Catterton, has launched a line of probiotic skin care products.
- Subscription boxes – Led in funding by Ipsy ($103.4M) and Birchbox ($86.9M), these startups focus on subscription boxes with curated selections of numerous brands’ products. Scentbird offers sample-sized perfumes. We Are Onyx focuses on women of color.
|Althea||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||500 Startups, Cherubic Ventures, Tekton Ventures|
|Beautycon Media||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||A+E Networks, BBG Ventures, CAA Ventures, Hearst Corporation, L’Oreal|
|Beautylish||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments, Lightbank, Presidio Partners|
|BelezaNaWeb||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Kaszek Ventures, Silver Lake Partners, Tiger Global Management|
|feelunique.com||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Palamon Capital Partners, Sirius Equity|
|HuiSeoul||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Altos Ventures, Best Team Group, Griffith Capital Partners|
|Meilapp||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||GSR Ventures, IDG Capital Partners, Morningside Ventures, Tiantu Capital, Yunqi Partners|
|Nykaa||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Max Ventures and Industries, TVS Capital|
|Purplle||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Blume Ventures, IvyCap Ventures, JSW Ventures|
|VIOLET GREY||Beauty E-Commerce Platforms||Marker, NV Investments, WGI Group|
|Booksy||Booking Platforms||Piton Capital, Nomad Fund, Inovo|
|Planity||Booking Platforms||Alven Capital|
|StyleSeat||Booking Platforms||Lightspeed Venture Partners, Slow Ventures, Lowercase Capital, Cowboy Ventures|
|Vaniday||Booking Platforms||Holtzbrinck Ventures, Rocket Internet|
|DryBar||Brick-and-Mortar Salons||Castanea Partners, KeyCorp, Pine River Capital Management, Roark Capital Group, SPK Capital|
|MiniLuxe||Brick-and-Mortar Salons||Cue Ball Capital, Envest Ventures|
|Phlur||Fragrance||Next Coast Ventures|
|Pinrose||Fragrance||Grace Beauty Capital, Harrison Metal|
|eSalon||Hair Care||AvTech Ventures, Encore Venture Partners, Smart Technology Ventures|
|Function of Beauty||Hair Care||GGV Capital, Y Combinator|
|Illumai (Formula XO)||Hair Care||Nodal Partners|
|Madison Reed||Hair Care||Comcast Ventures, First Round Capital, Maveron, Norwest Venture Partners, Peterson Ventures, Shea Ventures, True Ventures|
|Mayvenn||Hair Care||Andreessen Horowitz, Core Innovation Capital, Cross Culture Ventures, Trinity Ventures|
|Twisted Sista (Urban Therapy)||Hair Care||Wexford Capital Partners|
|Beardo||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Venture Catalysts|
|Big Moustache||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Anaxago, Sia Partners|
|Bombay Shaving Company||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Kiran Deshpande, Maninder Gulati|
|Harry’s Razor Company||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Bullish Partners, Harrison Metal, Thrive Capital, Tiger Global Management|
|Spruce||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Matchstick Ventures, Techstars|
|Walker & Company Brands||Men’s Shaving & Grooming||Andreessen Horowitz, Collaborative Fund, Floodgate, Google Ventures|
|Ardency Inn||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Babo Botanicals||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|BeautyCounter||Multi-Category Cosmetics||TomorrowVentures, TPG Growth|
|Bloomup||Multi-Category Cosmetics||ACG Management|
|Charlotte Tilbury||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Sequoia Capital, Samos Investments, Venrex Investment Management|
|Context||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Volta Global|
|First Aid Beauty||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Castanea Partners|
|Glossier||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Forerunner Ventures, Index Ventures, Institutional Venture Partners, Lerer Hippeau Ventures|
|Green Gorilla||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Steven Saxton|
|Hanhoo||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Sequoia Capital China|
|HUM Nutrition||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Juice Beauty||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Invus Group|
|Katherine Cosmetics||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Lilah Beauty||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Malin & Goetz||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Manzanita Capital|
|One Two Cosmetics||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Skin Inc.||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Spackman Entertainment Group, Spackman Media Group|
|Stowaway Cosmetics||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Compound Ventures, Slow Ventures, Vayner RSE|
|Thrive Causemetics||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Sephora Accelerate|
|True Moringa||Multi-Category Cosmetics||Target Takeoff|
|Wander Beauty||Multi-Category Cosmetics||N/A|
|Blow||On-Demand Beauty||Nick Robertson, Seedrs, Unilever Ventures|
|GlamSquad||On-Demand Beauty||BBG Ventures, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Montage Ventures, NEA|
|Glissed||On-Demand Beauty||Enterprise Ireland|
|MyGlamm||On-Demand Beauty||Brand Capital, L’Occitane, Tano Capital|
|The Ritualist||On-Demand Beauty||Roger Planes|
|FlexyBeauty||Salon & Stylist Aids||Newfund|
|Zenoti||Salon & Stylist Aids||Accel Partners, Norwest Venture Partners|
|Drunk Elephant||Skin Care||Leandra Medine, VMG Partners|
|Goddess Garden||Skin Care||Renewal Funds|
|Kopari (Koco Life)||Skin Care||Ashton Kutcher, Hilary Duff, Karlie Kloss, L Catterton|
|Nerd Skincare||Skin Care||Indie.Bio|
|Pangea Organics||Skin Care||Greenmont Capital Partners, Simon Equity Partners|
|Radical Skincare||Skin Care||N/A|
|Restorsea||Skin Care||LMN VC|
|Sprout A Revolution||Skin Care||N/A|
|TRIA Beauty||Skin Care||De Novo Ventures, Technology Partners, Vivo Capital|
|TULA||Skin Care||L Catterton|
|Yes To||Skin Care||Bridge Capital Holdings, San Francisco Equity Partners, Simon Equity Partners|
|bellabox||Subscription Boxes||Allure Media, Apex Capital Management, Square Peg Capital|
|Birchbox||Subscription Boxes||Accel Partners, Bullish Partners, First Round Capital, Slow Ventures|
|Ipsy||Subscription Boxes||500 Startups, Sherpa Capital, Southern Cross Venture Partners, TPG Growth|
|Memebox||Subscription Boxes||FundersClub, Goodwater Capital, Pear, Cowboy Ventures|
|Scentbird||Subscription Boxes||Scrum Ventures, 500 Startups, FundersClub|
|We Are Onyx||Subscription Boxes||500 Accelerator|
Want more data on personal care startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.