“It’s hard to be a disrupter and not be an asshole.”
This, according to an early investor in Uber who was talking about Travis Kalanick, the company’s CEO. The quote appeared in a recent Vanity Fair profile on Kalanick by Kara Swisher.
Is this the newest thing in VC pattern matching?
We’re not in the business of opining on such matters so we put the question to our 48k newsletter subscribers (subscribe here – it’s free and awesome) of investors, acquirers, bankers, etc. on whether there was any truth to the ‘a-hole disrupter’ theory.
Here’s the results. If you’re curious, more of our newsletter subscribers think we’re heading for a tech bubble.
Here are the results of the asshole poll.
Credit: Surian Soosay
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity