2017 set a record for first financings to ".ai" companies.
Investors, startup founders, and public company execs are banking on the AI boom, as a record number of startups with “.ai” in their URL suffixes raised funding in 2017.
Using the CB Insights’ platform we identified companies with “.ai” in their URL suffix to see if more new companies were raising first fundings with that domain name. In the past, we noted that the “.io” domain was picking up steam, but it looks like “.ai” companies have surged in the past year.
Last year over 220 such companies raised first-time financing, with a peak of 66 companies in Q3’17 alone. In total the number of first financings to “.ai” companies more than doubled in 2017.
The US accounts for over half of all startups tracked by CB Insights with “.ai” as their domain name suffix, closely followed by Canada, the UK, and India, each with more than 20 startups.
Silicon Valley accounts for over half of all US-based “.ai” companies. Interestingly, Montreal has recently established itself as an AI-research hub, which is reflected in the growing number of AI startups coming out of Canada in recent years.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity