Though funding to Asia-based AI companies increased slightly in Q1'20, deals hit a 5-quarter low.
Asia-based AI startups saw deals decline in Q1’20 amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
Deals to Asia-based AI companies in Q1’20 fell 10% from Q4’19, hitting 171 and representing a 5-quarter low. Funding, however, increased by 5% QoQ to more than $1.1B, though still below recent highs.
Most of these deals — 66% — went to early-stage AI companies, though early-stage deal share slipped from 77% in Q4’19. Mid-stage deal share saw a jump in Q1’20 compared to the prior quarter, up to 27% from 14%.
For more data and insights, clients can check out CB Insights’ Story on AI In Asia: The Impact Of Covid-19 On Funding, Exits, Valuations, And R&D.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity