If you are signed up to receive our bi-weekly Mobile Momentum newsletter, you already know that we are diving deep into the iTunes App Store data to algorithmically surface interesting apps and publishers.
This week we’re adding another alert to the mix which we’re calling – ‘Apps People Love‘. By leveraging our continually growing corpus of over 8 million user reviews, we are identifying apps that are getting extraordinarily favorable reviews from their users.
Using text mining techniques, we’ve identified certain words and phrases that have a high correlation with better ranks in the App Store. We take this insight and look for apps that have a similarly disproportionate number of reviews with occurrences of these words and phrases but have not yet made it to the top of the charts. We then calculate a weighted average score for each app – what we call the ‘Favorability Index‘ – and rank them accordingly. The top apps based on the Favorability Index will be featured in the newsletter.
As an example, here is the distribution of the Favorability Index across all the Apps in the Top 1000 right now. The newsletter will highlight the Apps we’re seeing at the tail end of the distribution.
To make sure you’re in the know, sign up for the Mobile Momentum newsletter here.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity