CB Insights, in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank and the Angel Resource Institute, recently released the 2013 year-end Halo Report. The full 27-page angel investing report includes breakdowns by industry and geography as well as valuation trends. In addition, the report includes a ranked list of the top 10 most active angel groups in 2013.
To download the entire 27-page 2013 year-end Halo Report, login here. The underlying angel investment data is also available and proprietary to CB Insights. (note: the report is available to anyone with a free CB Insights login)
Highlights of the 2013 year-end Halo Report include:
- Syndicated Deals Produce Larger Investment Rounds. Overall median deal size in 2013 was $600k, but when angels co-invested alongside other types of firms (including VCs, etc.) that median shot up to $1.7M.
- High Valuation Deals on the Rise. While 2013 median angel deal valuations held consistent with last year at $2.5M, the top quartile of angel deals carried valuations of $4.2M or greater. This represents a stronger showing at the top versus 2012.
- Golden Seeds is #1. Golden Seeds topped the leader board for most deals completed in 2013 – up from 5th place in 2012. Meanwhile the 2012 winner, New York Angels, fell to the 7th spot in 2013.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity