Mobile companies grab larger share of deals and dollars from angel investors in Q3 2013. Seventy-four percent of deals were completed in the angel groups’ home state.
CB Insights, in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank and the Angel Resource Institute, recently released the Q3 2013 Halo Report. The full 24-page angel investing report includes breakdowns by industry and geography as well as valuation trends. In addition, the most active angel groups for Q3 are named.
Highlights of the Q3 2013 Halo Report include:
- Median Deal Size Still Depressed. While the beginning of 2013 saw median deal sizes flying high, Q2 and now Q3 have seen those deal sizes take a sharp dip. The Q3 median deal size was $520k, down over 25% from its peak in Q1.
- Angels Invest Close to Home. Angel groups continue to favor companies close to home, keeping 74% of investments within their home state.
- Mobile is Hot. Following suit with VCs, angels are increasingly focusing their efforts on Mobile as the sector grabs over 25% of total investment in Q3 2013. This share figure is nearly double that witnessed in Q2.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity