Median angel round size increases to $980K while pre-money valuations rise to $2.7 million. Investment into Internet jumps significantly while dollars to Mobile and Healthcare shrinks.
CB Insights, in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank and the Angel Resource Institute, recently released the Q1 2014 Halo Report. The full 26-page angel investing report includes breakdowns by industry and geography as well as valuation trends. In addition, the most active angel groups for Q1 are named.
Highlights of the Q1 2014 Halo Report include:
- Round Size Reaches Five-Quarter High. Median angel round size reaches a five-quarter high in Q1 2014 at $980k. This marks a 31% YoY jump versus the first quarter of 2013, and also a 31% jump versus last quarter.
- Median Deal Valuations Jump 10%. After several steady quarters at $2.5 million, median pre-money valuations rise to $2.7 million.
- Mobile Down for Second Straight Quarter. After a strong showing in Q3 2013, angel investment into the Mobile sector has seen a downward trend. That trend continues into 2014 as Mobile dips below 15% of overall angel investment.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity