Angel investor median deal sizes increase and valuations stay strong. Investments in healthcare, mobile and internet dominate angel deals.
CB Insights, in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank and the Angel Resource Institute, recently released the Q1 2013 Halo Report. The 25-page angel investing report includes breakdowns by industry and geography as well as valuation trends. In addition, the most active angel groups for Q1 are named.
Highlights of the Q1 2013 Halo Report include:
- Median Deal Size Reaches 5-Quarter High. The median angel deal size for Q1 2013 reaches $680k – up 5% sequentially since last quarter and 24% since the same quarter last year.
- Home is Where the Heart Is. 81% of deals of deals were completed in angel groups’ home states, giving credence to the widely held notion that angels prefer to invest close to home.
- What Bubble? Median pre-money valuation for angel deals remains unchanged from 2012 at $2.5M.
- Internet, Healthcare, Mobile and Everything Else. Internet, Healthcare and Mobile combine for over 72% of overall angel deal flow, while the rest of the field remains diverse.
- We Major. The most active angel groups in Q1 in terms of deals completed include Alliance of Angels (WA), Desert Angels (AZ), Golden Seeds (CA, MA, NY) among others listed in the report.