The Halo Report, a joint partnership between Silicon Valley Bank, CB Insights and the Angel Resource Institute, was recently issued for Q1 2012. The nationwide survey of angel investment group activity for Q1 2012 identified a couple of notable items related to pre-money valuations, angel round sizes and the most active angel investment groups:
- For the first time since we began exploring this data (see our first report covering 2011 angel investment data), we explored valuation trends in the market. Over the past 12 months, the median pre-money valuation for pre-Series A deals by angel groups was $2.5 million.
- We’re also seeing consistency in angel group investing. At $700K per deal, this is the same as 2011, and is up 40% from 2010.
- The most active angel groups (based on overall deals) in Q1 were Tech Coast Angels, Alliance of Angels, Clean Energy Venture Group, Central Texas Angel Network and Launchpad Venture Group.
- The Q1 2012 Halo Report also highlights the most active angel groups in healthcare over the last 12 months (based on deal activity) as the Life Science Angels, Blue Tree Allied Angels, Central Texas Angel Network, Ohio Tech Angels, Desert Angels and Tech Coast Angels.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity