Venture capital-backed healthcare startups are addressing diseases and conditions affecting virtually every part of the human body.
Tech isn’t the only sector receiving billions in venture capital funding. Healthcare and life sciences companies raised more than $8B from VC firms in 2014. And while tech exits may have slowed down, exits of VC-baked healthcare startups have been strong, especially IPOs: there were 61 in 2014 alone.
As VC dollars continue to flow into healthcare, we used CB Insights’ database to identify VC-backed companies treating conditions and diseases affecting different parts of the body.
The companies on our list market a wide range of therapies, drugs, and devices. Thrasos Therapeutics, a biotherapeutics company, works on the prevention and treatment of kidney disease, while Cerecor, a biopharmaceutical company, develops drugs to target neurological and psychiatric disorders. In the medical-device category, some companies are focused on diagnostics while others work on treatment. Humedics, for example, tests liver function via a breath test. SynCardia treats biventricular heart failure with a “Total Artificial Heart,” which helps patients bridge the time to a heart transplant.
Below is a full diagram detailing some of the VC-backed healthcare startups and the major organs or body systems they target:
Want more data on healthcare companies? Check out our venture capital database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity