Also covered are HVAC startups and autonomous vehicle investment trends.
Today, we’re talking about Y Combinator vs. Techstars, Asian beauty trends, AI in blockchain and HR tech, and more:
- Is Y Combinator worthy of the hype?
- Despite autonomous vehicle concerns, corporates keep piling on
- AI in HR tech: mo’ money, mo’ problems
- AI and blockchain for government in Europe
- HVAC startups
- Tech trends in Asian beauty
Is Y Combinator worthy of the hype?
Of 1,900+ YC investments since its founding in 2005:
- 16 are current unicorns — 0.8% of its total portfolio (Note: YC does not include Quora or Convoy in its portfolio as they were later-stage investments and would skew results.)
- 49 companies have received valuations of $100M or more — 2.6% of its total portfolio
- 194 companies have exited, including Cruise’s $1B acquisition by GM. While 10% of YC’s total portfolio has exited, only 1 portfolio company (DropBox) has gone public.