Corporate investors such as Mitsui, Monsanto, and Syngenta have backed agtech startups improving irrigation, crop spraying, harvesting, and more.
As population growth increases the need to ramp up food production, tech startups are creating a range of agricultural software, services, farming techniques, and innovative solutions aimed at bringing more data and efficiency to the sector.
We used CB Insights data to identify more than 100 private companies in agriculture tech and categorized them into nine main categories. We define ag tech as technology that increases the efficiency of farms, in the form of software, sensors, aerial-based data, internet-based distribution channels (marketplaces), and tools for technology-enabled farming. We only include start-up companies that primarily target the agricultural sector.
Click on the image to enlarge. Market map is not meant to be exhaustive of companies in the space.
The breakdown is as follows:
- Farm Management Software: This includes software like that produced by Andreessen Horowitz-backed Granular that allows farmers to more efficiently manage their resources, crop production, farm animals, etc.
- Precision Agriculture and Predictive Data Analytics: These startups include those that focus on scalable solutions using big data and predictive analytics to address farm-related issues and make better farm-related decisions in order to save energy, increase efficiency, optimize herbicide and pesticide application (such as Prospera, which uses machine vision and artificial intelligence), and manage risk, among other uses.
- Sensors: Startups in the sensor category include Arable, which offers smart sensors that collect data and help farmers monitor crop health, weather, and soil quality.
- Animal Data: These companies provide software and hardware specifically aimed at better understanding livestock, from breeding patterns (Connecterra) to genomics (TL Biolabs).
- Robotics and Drones: This category includes drone companies and related drone services that cater to agricultural needs (such as TerrAvion), as well as robots or intelligent farm machines that perform various farm functions more efficiently (such as Blue River Technology, backed by Monsanto Growth Ventures, Syngenta Ventures, and Khosla Ventures, among others).
- Smart Irrigation: These startups, including Hortau, provide systems that help monitor and automate water usage for farms using various data exhausts.
- Next Gen Farms: A growing category of companies that utilize technology to provide alternative farming methods to enable farming in locations and settings that cannot support traditional farming. Examples include AeroFarms for vertical farming and BrightFarms for new greenhouses.
- Marketplaces: These startup companies offer marketplaces relevant to agriculture by connecting farmers directly to suppliers or consumers without any middlemen. While some are e-commerce platforms, others use tech to facilitate physical marketplaces (La Ruche Qui Dit Oui).
- Plant Data/Analysis: These startups are getting more granular data about plant composition (microbial makeup, genetic expression, etc.) and/or analyzing that data to improve seed research & development and breeding (such as Benson Hill Biosystems).
Some companies may overlap with different categories and are grouped according to their main use case.
See the full company list below:
|Advanced Animal Diagnostics||Cultivian Sandbox, InterSouth Partners, Kansas Bioscience Authority, LabCorp, Middleland Capital, Novartis Venture Funds||Animal Data|
|Farmnote||Colopl, GREE, Kanematsu, Kotaro Chiba||Animal Data|
|Stellapps Technologies||Omnivore Partners||Animal Data|
|Mastiline||SHIFT Invest||Animal Data|
|TL BioLabs||Y Combinator||Animal Data|
|Connecterra||Breed Reply, DeNA, Elias Tabet, MENA Venture Investments||Animal Data|
|Cowlar||Y Combinator||Animal Data|
|Moocall||The Pearse Lyons Accelerator||Animal Data|
|Farmdok||Cega GmbH, Tecent Equity||Farm Management Software|
|Landmapp||HERi Africa, Omidyar Network||Farm Management Software|
|Aegro||SP Ventures, WOW Aceleradora||Farm Management Software|
|Scoutpro||Undisclosed Investors||Farm Management Software|
|Granular||Andreessen Horowitz, Emory Investment Management, Fall Line Capital, Google Ventures, H. Barton Asset Management, Khosla Ventures, Tao Capital Partners||Farm Management Software|
|Agworld||REV, Yuuwa Capital||Farm Management Software|
|Agrivi||South Central Ventures||Farm Management Software|
|Conservis||Cultivian Sandbox, Heartland Advisors, Middleland Capital||Farm Management Software|
|Crop-in Technology Solutions||Ankur Capital, Sophia ApS||Farm Management Software|
|Trecker||Undisclosed Investors||Farm Management Software|
|PickTrace||FundersClub, Y Combinator||Farm Management Software|
|FarmLogs||Andreessen Horowitz, Drive Capital, First Step Fund, Huron River Ventures, Hyde Park Angels, Hyde Park Venture Partners, Sam Altman, Silicon Badia, Start Fund, SV Angel, Y Combinator||Farm Management Software|
|Agriwebb||Al Hamra, John Murray||Farm Management Software|
|OnFarm Systems||Maxfield Capital, Sacramento Angels||Farm Management Software|
|AgroStar||Aavishkaar, IDG Ventures India||Marketplaces|
|La Ruche Qui Dit Oui||BNP Paribas Securities Corporation, Caisse des Depots et Consignations, Christophe Duhamel, Felix Capital, Kima Ventures, Marc Simoncini, Paris Initiative Enterprises, Quadia, Siparex, Union Square Ventures, XAnge Private Equity||Marketplaces|
|EM3 Agriservices||Aspada Advisors||Marketplaces|
|Bowery Farming||BoxGroup, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, First Round Capital||Next Gen Farms|
|Alesca Life||Bits x Bites, The Pearse Lyons Accelerator||Next Gen Farms|
|Freight Farms||Bridge Boys, Kickstarter, LaunchCapital, Morningside Ventures, Rothenberg Ventures, Spark Capital, TechStars||Next Gen Farms|
|Aero Farms||21Ventures, GSR Ventures, Middleland Capital, Missionpoint Capital Partners, Quercus Trust, Wheatsheaf Investments||Next Gen Farms|
|BrightFarms||NGEN Partners, WP Global Partners, Emil Capital Partners||Next Gen Farms|
|Freshbox||Chalsys LLP||Next Gen Farms|
|Green Sense Farms||Undisclosed Investors||Next Gen Farms|
|Gotham Greens||Undisclosed Investors||Next Gen Farms|
|CiBO||Flagship Pioneering||Plant Data/Analysis|
|Trace Genomics||Illumina Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Refactor Capital||Plant Data/Analysis|
|Benson Hill Biosystems||BioGenerator, iSelect Fund, Lewis & Clark Ventures||Plant Data/Analysis|
|Agronostico||NXTP Labs||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Agrible||Archer Daniels Midland Company, Flyover Capital, Serra Ventures||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Gamaya||Seed4Equity, VI Partners||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|S4||Arch Grants, BioGenerator, SixThirty, The Yield Lab||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|Observe||Entrepreneur First||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|Strider||Barn Investimentos, Monashees Capital, Qualcomm Ventures||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|GeoVisual Analytics||THRIVE Accelerator||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Agrilyst||Brooklyn Bridge Ventures, Metamorphic Ventures, TechCrunch Disrupt||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|CropMetrics||Undisclosed Investors||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Adapt-N||Armory Square Ventures, Arthur Ventures, Cayuga Venture Fund||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|Farmers Business Network||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|Premier Crop Systems||Undisclosed Investors||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|Bovcontrol||Redpoint e.ventures, MassChallenge||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|CropZilla Software||Undisclosed Investors||Precision Agriculture And Predictive Analytics|
|MyAgData||Adams Street Partners, Alpha Capital Partners, Don Walsworth, Early Investments, John Rose, October Capital, OpenAir Equity Partners, River Cities Capital Fund, Saints Capital, Thorndale Farm||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Agralogics||Undisclosed Investors||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Prospera||Bessemer Venture Partners, Hishtil||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|aWhere||AgFunder, Aravaipa Ventures, Elixir Capital||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|ec2ec||Undisclosed Investors||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Flurosat||muru-D||Precision Agriculture and Predictive Analytics|
|Mavrx Imaging||Shasta Ventures, Slow Ventures||Robotics and Drones|
|FarmBot||SYD Ventures, muru-D||Robotics and Drones|
|Airwood Aerostructures||StartupXseed Ventures||Robotics and Drones|
|Raptor Maps||Founder.org, MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Competition||Robotics and Drones|
|Harvest CROO||Undisclosed Investors||Robotics and Drones|
|Blue River Technology||Data Collective, Innovation Endeavors, Khosla Ventures, Monsanto Growth Ventures, National Science Foundation, Pontifax, Stanford Angels & Entrepreneurs, Steve Blank, Syngenta Ventures, Ulu Ventures||Robotics and Drones|
|SkySquirrel Technologies||InNOVAcorp||Robotics and Drones|
|Skycision||Acceleprise||Robotics and Drones|
|Leading Edge Technologies||Undisclosed Investors||Robotics and Drones|
|TerrAvion||FundersClub, Y Combinator||Robotics and Drones|
|Resson||BDC Capital, BDC Venture Capital, Build Ventures, East Valley Ventures, Monsanto Growth Ventures, New Brunswick Innovation Foundation, Rho Canada||Robotics And Drones|
|Abundant Robotics||Google Ventures, KPCB Edge, Yamaha Motor Ventures||Robotics And Drones|
|Ceres Imaging||ImagineH20, Lemnos Labs, Silicon Badia||Robotics and Drones|
|Centaur Analytics||OurCrowd, PJ Tech Catalyst||Sensors|
|SLANTRANGE||Mainsail Partners, The Investor Group||Sensors|
|Pycno||HAX, Launch KC||Sensors|
|Spensa Technologies||Emerging Innovations Fund, Radicle Capital, Village Capital||Sensors|
|Amber Agriculture||iVenture Accelerator||Sensors|
|FieldIn||Terra Venture Partners||Sensors|
|Saturas||The Trendlines Group||Sensors|
|Acuity Agriculture||THRIVE Accelerator||Sensors|
|Grassometer||Enterprise Ireland, Kernel Capital||Sensors|
|Phytech||Mitsui & Co., Syngenta Ventures||Sensors|
|Farmers Edge||Fairfax Financial Holdings, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Mitsui & Co.||Sensors|
|Arable||SparkLabs, Imagine H20||Sensors|
|Smart Yields||Energy Excelerator, Blue Startups||Sensors|
|Semios||FedDev Ontario, Haywood Securities, Niagara Angel Network, Verizon Communications||Sensors|
|Sencrop||Breega Capital, Emertec Gestion||Sensors|
|Flowius||Imagine H20||Smart Irrigation|
|Tevatronic||The Pearse Lyons Accelerator||Smart Irrigation|
|Livn||Start-up Chile||Smart Irrigation|
|Hortau||Advantage Capital Partners, Avrio Capital, BDC Venture Capital, Business Capital, Desjardins Venture Capital, Telesystem||Smart Irrigation|
|Sprinkl||Ian Woodward-Smith||Smart Irrigation|
|Smart Farm Systems||Undisclosed Investors||Smart Irrigation|
|Powwow Energy||California Energy Commission||Smart Irrigation|
|HydroPoint Data Systems||Chrysalix Global Network, Chrysalix Venture Capital, Firelake Capital, J.F. Shea Venture Capital||Smart Irrigation|
|CropX||Finistere Ventures, GreenSoil Investments, Innovation Endeavors, Lab IX, OurCrowd.com, Robert Bosch Venture Capital||Smart Irrigation|
|AquaSpy||Alpina Partners, Centre for Energy and Greenhouse Technologies, Cleantech Ventures, Colonial First State Private Equity, Cultivian Ventures, Emerald Technology Ventures, ES Ventures, Gresham Rabo Management, Nanyang Ventures||Smart Irrigation|
|Edyn||Fenox Venture Capital, Idea Bulb Ventures, Indicator Ventures, Kickstarter, Morningside Ventures, QueensBridge Venture Partners, THRIVE Accelerator, Y Combinator||Smart Irrigation|
Want more Ag tech data? Check out our private company database or sign up below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity