In the last year, the Top 30 Most Active Venture Capital Firms had their hands in one out of every four deals which amounted to nearly $9 billion in funding, a quarter of which ended up in the internet sector. We’ve already seen that investments within internet favored the social, gaming, eCommerce, and advertising industries. Here, we’ll examine the top 30’s internet investments by round and then by state.
Within internet, the most active VCs favored Series A, Series B, and Series C rounds, which accounted for over 80% of deals and dollars in 2009-2010. Seed rounds made up 8.6% of the year’s deals amongst the most active venture capital firms. Over the period, Series A, Series B, and Series C deal flow varied widely on a month-to-month basis, while Seed and Series D rounds remained consistent albeit sparse.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity