In the last five years, Google acquisitions have tended to be VC or angel investor-backed with 3 of every 4 acquisitions completed by Google having received external financing. As we’d previously noted, Google has been on an acquisition tear this year relative to its own historical pace as well as relative to its technology company brethren/competitors.
Below is the breakdown of acquisitions by year and the percentage receiving external financing vs. not. As you’ll see, the proportion of companies Google has acquired which are externally financed has increased over the period in question.
If you liked this analysis, you should follow CB Insights on twitter here for more data-driven insights.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity