Lab-grown meat grabs most of the headlines, but in 2019 we may see other types of lab-grown proteins hit our plates.
Could Just, the plant protein startup formerly known as Hampton Creek, put out the world’s first commercially available lab-grown meat?
The startup has pledged to do so, and repeatedly discussed aims to start selling lab-grown meat in select restaurants by late 2018 to early 2019.
But the clock is ticking, and Just hasn’t always had the best track record.
Once valued at $1.1B, the startup struggled after a failed scheme to buy back its own animal-free mayonnaise from stores to boost sales numbers, and in 2017 much of its board resigned.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity