It is a purely data-driven / algorithmic ranking that uses CB Insights data. We’d gathered this data via our machine learning technology (dubbed The Cruncher) as well as via several thousand direct submissions from firms and individual professionals using The Editor.
The Investor Mosaic page walks through the factors considered in the algorithm in some detail but at a high-level, it considers several factors including:
- An investor’s exits – the frequency/volume, size, and stage of entry
- Network centrality – connectivity to other investors. Think of it as akin to Google Pagerank.
- Consistency – stage, industry consistency of investments
- Illiquid portfolio company value – frequency, size and stage of entry in high value (but un-exited companies). Given relatively less weight as these are paper valuations
- Recency of performance – Our focus was on these metrics since 2008. As a result, we didn’t give a lot of credit to those who made glorious picks in the 80s, 90s, or early 2000s. This is a ranking of today’s best VCs — not the best VCs in history.
Below is the full list of 100 top venture capitalists.
We will do more analysis of the top 100 and also be unveiling the VC peer rankings in future posts.
Track these VCs and their firms with CB Insights.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity