Companies are staying private longer than ever before, leading to what many have called the “private IPO” trend, with late-stage financing and $100M+ mega-rounds allowing tech startups to access the funding they might have formerly found in the public markets.
Many of these deals are driven by crossover investors, including hedge funds and mutual funds normally focused on the public markets.
But the mega-round trend has cooled. After Q3’15 saw 72 $100M+ equity financings to VC-backed companies, the mega-round trend slipped in Q4’15, with just 38 such deals.
Both North America and Asia saw a significant decrease in mega-rounds vs. the exuberant levels seen in Q3’15. The quarter saw mega-financings dip in number to levels last seen in Q3’14.
Overall the mega-rounds in major markets in Q4’15 raised over $11.4B vs. $20.3B in Q3’15.
Want more VC financing data? Get the Q4’15 VC Report, login to CB Insights, or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity