In December, we released our 2014 Tech IPO Pipeline Report highlighting the financing, geographies and investors behind tech’s 590 most highly valued and high-flying private tech companies. And we’ve seen rapid activity on the exit and financing front in the less than 2 months since the predictions were issued.
Five companies on the list have exited via M&A or IPO, netting an aggregate total of $6.51B. The largest was Google’s $3.2B acquisition of Nest Labs, followed by VMWare’s $1.17B acquisition of Accel Partners-backed mobile device management firm AirWatch. Of note, AirWatch’s closest comp, MobileIron and fellow Tech IPO Pipeline candidate, is said to be discussing an IPO with banks. In fact, there are another 12 companies on the initial IPO Pipeline list that have filed for IPO or are said to be working towards a 2014 IPO.
The funding front is also heating up for companies on the list. Another 49 of the initial 590 companies have gone on to raise $1.97B in additional financing across 56 deals. The largest financing since the list was issued was Dropbox’s mega financing round at a $10B valuation. The top 3 was rounded out by Wayfair’s $150M round, which put it in the club of private companies that have raised at a $1B+ valuation, and Utah-based BI provider Domo Technologies, which raised $125M at an $825M valuation.
Below is a full summary of the results so far:
590 Tech IPO Pipeline companies identified in December 2013
10% have exited or raised additional financing since the list was issued (less than 2 months ago)
5 with disclosed valuations have exited for an aggregate value of $6.51 billion
49 of the companies have raised additional financing totaling $1.97 billion
Exited Tech IPO Pipeline companies with disclosed valuations:
- Nest Labs acquired by Google
- Mandiant acquired by FireEye
- Dealer.com acquired by DealerTrack Holdings
- AirWatch acquired by VMWare
- Care.com went public
Tech IPO Pipeline companies that have filed for or are speculated to be preparing IPOs:
- Rubicon Project
- Castlight Health
- Gilt Groupe
If you’re in banking or biz dev, you can get the current list of Tech IPO Pipeline companies here.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity