To receive weekly dealflow data and news of high growth private companies, sign up for the free CB Insights newsletter.
As we’ve noted for the last several quarters, venture capital investment in the healthcare sector has dominated receiving the most venture capital dollars and also representing a large number of venture deals. But this has not always been the case and so we looked at venture capital investment in the healthcare sector from 1998 to 2009.
As can be seen in the graph of deal activity and dollars invested over that time period, the healthcare sector has shown a steady and consistent climb in venture deals and with the exception of 2009 which was universally bad across all sectors, the dollar value of deals has also steadily climbed.
When we peel back the healthcare investment to it’s component industries, we see the strength in healthcare investment has been driven largely by venture capital investment in medical devices and equipment.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity