CB Insights' Mosaic score helps track the health of private companies. Food and meal kit delivery startups are hot, taking 4 of the top 10 spots.
While the recent acquisition of Gilt Groupe for $250M after being valued as high as $1.1B has thrown some cold water on the e-commerce industry, investors are looking to back the next generation of successful e-commerce startups.
Using CB Insights’ Mosaic algorithm, which combines public data and a predictive algorithm to assess the momentum of private companies, we identified some of the hottest early-stage (Seed and Series A) e-commerce startups.
- Heading up our list was Thrive Market, an online wholesaler of socially conscious groceries, supplements, and other home products. Thrive Market recently raised a $32.9M Series A in June 2015 from Greycroft Partners and other investors.
- In second place was Maple, a New York-based delivery-only restaurant backed by celebrity chef David Chang (along with Thrive Capital and other investors). Other prepared food and meal kit delivery services also feature prominently here, such as Home Chef, Gobble, and Sun Basket. Together these companies took 4 of the top 10 spots.
The remainder of the list includes a variety of startups attacking different fields, including an Etsy-type craft marketplace in Asia and female-focused fashion and apparel companies.
See the full list below:
|Company||Mosaic Score||Recent Headlines|
Want more data about top e-commerce companies? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity