Latest Madison Gas & Electric News
Jul 19, 2019
Dive Brief: 11,600 people were reportedly without power in downtown Madison, Wisconsin on Friday morning due to a fire at a transmission substation opposite Madison Gas & Electric's natural gas-fired Blount Generating Station. University of Wisconsin-Madison police confirmed the presence of a second fire about a mile away at a different substation on North Park Street. No injuries have been reported. Police evacuated one campus building adjacent to the second fire, but allowed building occupants to return shortly after . The fire is having a significant impact on travel in the city's narrow isthmus, with traffic lights out and multiple streets closed. The incident coincides with an excessive heat warning, which will affect the city all day starting at 10 a.m. MG&E believes the cause was a mechanical issue , unrelated to the excessive heat the city is experiencing. Dive Insight: No reports of any injuries, but motorists should think through downtown travel routes as we look to keep everyone safe. pic.twitter.com/EcrDBsWkSo This story is developing.