About Urban Entertainment
Urban Entertainment is a production company that utilizes the Internet as an incubator for developing urban-themed film and television projects in partnership with top Hollywood talent. Urban Entertainment also acquires exclusive television and Internet rights to independently produced black feature and short films and licenses such films to exhibitors.
Missing: Urban Entertainment's Product Demo & Case Studies
Promote your product offering to tech buyers.
Reach 1000s of buyers who use CB Insights to identify vendors, demo products, and make purchasing decisions.
Missing: Urban Entertainment's Product & Differentiators
Don’t let your products get skipped. Buyers use our vendor rankings to shortlist companies and drive requests for proposals (RFPs).
Latest Urban Entertainment News
Jun 8, 2017
Courtesy of Trace June 8, 2017 | 09:00AM PT Trace , the France-based international urban media company, has officially launched its over-the-top video and music service in the U.S. It also announced the formation of a joint venture, Trace USA LLC, with key American media shareholders including Wyclef Jean. The streaming service, TracePlay , provides urban music and video content from the U.S. and around the globe, including 2,000 hours of on-demand programming, eight live music-video channels and a sports celebrity channel, and 30 digital radio stations. The company describes its content mix as an intersection of American hip-hop culture, Afrobeat movement, and Caribbean music. TracePlay is available online at traceplay.tv and for iOS and Android devices; it launched in beta in March. In the U.S., the service costs $2.99 per month or $29.99 annually. The newly formed Trace USA is majority owned by several entrepreneurs, entertainment execs and content creators. Investors include musician Wyclef Jean, FUBU co-founder J. Alexander Martin, JKD Entertainment’s Karlie Lewis and Dora Din Whittley, and TV and movie producers Tonya Lewis Lee (Tonik Productions) and Rob Marriott. Leading Trace’s U.S. launch is media veteran John Pasmore, who previously worked for eight years with Russell Simmons on Oneworld, a magazine and media venture focused on youth culture. “Trace is the only media company that has successfully connected urban youth and communities of color around the world while respecting their identities,” Pasmore said. “Entering the U.S. market, we want to reach influential young, Afro-urban consumers with innovative content that’s important to them, and culturally relevant in their daily lives.” According to the company, TracePlay’s VOD library includes reality TV shows (“Growing Up Hip Hop,” “Kingin’ with Tyga,” “Love & Hip Hop,” “Cutting It: In the ATL”); movies (“Malcolm X,” “Mum and Dad Meet Sam,” “Hot Boyz”); African blockbusters (“30 Days in Atlanta,” “Ayanda”); multicultural series (“V-Republic,” “Kingmakers”); music and sports documentaries featuring Prince, Jidenna, Rihanna, Salomon Kalou and more; and concerts (with artists including Meshell Ndegeocello and Anderson Paak). According to Pasmore, Trace USA is producing additional original content and licensing in relevant programming for U.S. audiences. In addition, the company is looking to cut deals with cable operators to distribute its programming. Trace is based in Clichy, France. The company is 75% owned by Sweden’s Modern Times Group, a digital entertainment conglomerate. The other 25% is owned by Olivier Laouchez, Trace’s co-founder, group chairman and CEO, and other senior executives. Laouchez originally acquired the Trace brand and magazine in 2003 with a group of investors led by Goldman Sachs. Today, Trace operates 30 digital and mobile services, 21 pay TV channels, and seven FM radio stations. The company also develops, produces and syndicates premium content reaching 59 million pay-TV subscribers and over 200 million users across 160 countries worldwide. Filed Under:
Urban Entertainment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When was Urban Entertainment founded?
Urban Entertainment was founded in 1999.
Where is Urban Entertainment's headquarters?
Urban Entertainment's headquarters is located at 9200 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles.
What is Urban Entertainment's latest funding round?
Urban Entertainment's latest funding round is Series B.
How much did Urban Entertainment raise?
Urban Entertainment raised a total of $5.5M.
Who are the investors of Urban Entertainment?
Investors of Urban Entertainment include WarnerMedia Investments and Provender Capital Group.
Discover the right solution for your team
The CB Insights tech market intelligence platform analyzes millions of data points on vendors, products, partnerships, and patents to help your team find their next technology solution.