Search company, investor...
Revenera company logo

Revenera

revenera.com

Founded Year

1987

About Revenera

Revenera specializes in software licensing and compliance.

Headquarters Location

300 Park Blvd Suite 500

Itasca, Illinois, 60143,

United States

Missing: Revenera's Product Demo & Case Studies

Promote your product offering to tech buyers.

Reach 1000s of buyers who use CB Insights to identify vendors, demo products, and make purchasing decisions.

Missing: Revenera's Product & Differentiators

Don’t let your products get skipped. Buyers use our vendor rankings to shortlist companies and drive requests for proposals (RFPs).

Latest Revenera News

Revenera Monetization Monitor Highlights that 80 Percent of Software Suppliers Will Collect Software Usage Data by 2024

Nov 17, 2022

Software suppliers show growing interest in collecting software usage data. 62 percent of respondents collect software usage data today. An additional 18 percent plan to in the coming two years, for a total of 80 percent doing so by 2024. Only 26 percent of respondents indicate that their organization can currently gather product usage data “very well.” The coming 12–18 months will see significantly increased reliance on usage-based monetization models, which require accurate usage data: 41 percent of all respondents indicated that consumption-based software monetization models will grow as a percentage of overall software license revenue and 34 percent of all respondents indicated that metered software monetization models will grow as a percentage of overall software license revenue. Suppliers that collect usage data have greater visibility into how customers use their products. Nearly one-quarter (24 percent) of suppliers that do not collect usage data can’t see any common metrics of how customers use their product. For the essential metric of whether suppliers can see if customers are using their product at all, 52 percent of those who collect usage data have this visibility, while the number drops to 25 percent among those that don’t collect usage data. Capabilities to track customers and their entitlements/use rights are essential for managing the customer lifecycle but are less mature than other areas of usage analytics. The most commonly used measure of the customer lifecycle is the renewal date, but only 49 percent of respondents track this, indicating room for improvement across capabilities to manage the customer lifecycle. The number of suppliers that can track all customers and their entitlements/use rights jumps from 46 percent overall to 64 percent among respondents using a purpose-built commercial entitlement management solution. Methodology The 2022 Revenera Monetization Monitor Software Industry Survey was conducted by Revenera from mid-April through mid-July 2022. This research project looks at software producers’ software business models, pricing, usage and transparency. The survey was undertaken globally. Job levels of the 261 survey respondents were: director and above (31 percent), manager/team leader (35 percent), and individual contributors/consultants (34 percent). Follow Revenera

Revenera Web Traffic

Rank
Page Views per User (PVPU)
Page Views per Million (PVPM)
Reach per Million (RPM)
CBI Logo

Revenera Rank

Revenera Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • When was Revenera founded?

    Revenera was founded in 1987.

  • Where is Revenera's headquarters?

    Revenera's headquarters is located at 300 Park Blvd, Itasca.

Discover the right solution for your team

The CB Insights tech market intelligence platform analyzes millions of data points on vendors, products, partnerships, and patents to help your team find their next technology solution.

Request a demo

CBI websites generally use certain cookies to enable better interactions with our sites and services. Use of these cookies, which may be stored on your device, permits us to improve and customize your experience. You can read more about your cookie choices at our privacy policy here. By continuing to use this site you are consenting to these choices.