Prince Harry travelled to Balmoral alone, didn’t make it before Queen’s death
Sep 9, 2022
Prince Harry’s arrival to Balmoral Castle without his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has become a point of intrigue after an early report suggested the Sussexes would travel to the Scottish Highlands together. The couple were initially skipping their planned appearance at a WellChild awards event in London, but a spokesperson later confirmed that Meghan would not be joining her husband. Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, did not join Prince William in travelling to Balmoral after it was announced Queen Elizabeth II had been placed under medical supervision. Catherine chose to stay with George, nine, Charlotte, seven, and Louis, four. Harry travelled alone to Balmoral to be by the Queen’s side. Credit:PA.
Charles and his wife, Camilla, had been by the Queen’s side since the early afternoon. Princess Anne, the Queen’s only daughter, was also already in Scotland having undertaken royal duties. The Duke of Cambridge and uncles Prince Andrew and Prince Edward, as well as Edward’s wife, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, arrived at Aberdeen airport shortly after 4pm local time. The Queen’s death was confirmed just after 6:30pm but it is not yet known who was with her when she died. Prince Harry travelled alone to Balmoral in a private jet, and was the last to arrive, with the BBC live reporting he arrived shortly after his grandmother’s death. He was photographed looking solemn, in a black suit and tie, as his car made its way to Balmoral. The Sussexes have paid tribute to the Queen, updating their website to read, “In loving memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II1926-2022.”
Rumours of feuding have swirled since the couple announced they would swap their royal duties for a quiet life in California. Meghan felt “unprotected” by the royal family against UK tabloids during her pregnancy, court documents revealed in legal filings made against Associated Newspapers in 2020. Advertisement
A year after settling in the US, the couple took part in an 85-minute tell-all interview special with Oprah , voicing criticism of how they were treated by the royal family and accusing it of racism. Loading
In August, The Cut published an exclusive interview in which Meghan spoke about the constraints of royal life in Britain, while promoting her new podcast Archetypes. “It was a big adjustment — a huge adjustment to go from that kind of autonomy to a different life,” she said. Harry and Meghan had been on a rare visit to the UK this week for the first time since the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. “It’s very nice to be back in the UK,” Meghan told the audience in her keynote address at the One Young World Summit in Manchester on Tuesday. The Sussexes did not have plans to see Charles or Camilla, nor the Cambridges during their visit. Now, it seems, the couple will remain in the UK until the Queen’s funeral. Make the most of your health, relationships, fitness and nutrition with our Live Well newsletter. Get it in your inbox every Monday. Save